TR7 BFH#52 - Failed emissions test

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: TR7 BFH#52 - Failed emissions test
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:41:13 EST
Well, the good news is my newly-reassembled TR7 passed the safety inspection
today.  The bad news is that it flunked the emissions test.

I need a 2% CO reading, and mine was 3.14%.

So, now I need to strategize on how to fix this.  Here are my thoughts, so
chime in with your comments:

1.  They do the emission test at idle.  I'm missing the vacuum retard unit on
my dizzy, so the timing was probably at 10degrees BTDC, but with the vacuum
unit it would be less.  I have a new dizzy and vacuum unit showing up
shortly.  Think that will help?

2.  I can try leaning out the Stromberg-Zenith carb mixtures.

3.  I have the water-temp controlled automatic choke on my carbs.  The
electrical wires that go into the choke are broken off, so whatever they were
suppose to do, ain't happening.  Maybe the solution here is to go for the
test in the afternoon when it is warmer?

4.  I'm pretty sure the air pump doesn't do much of anything anymore.  I have
another one, but am not sure what condition it is in.  Would that make much
of a difference?

5.  Finally, I'm going to double check the North Carolina emission standards
just to make sure a car this old has to pass that level of CO.

Any other ideas, as always, much appreciated.

later!

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 Convertible
Chapel Hill, NC