RE: TR7 BFH#52 - Failed emissions test

To: <Eganb@aol.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: TR7 BFH#52 - Failed emissions test
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:23:32 -0800
Bob Labuz wrote :
> What the triumph, bsa and norton bikers do is mix a bit of
> alcohol with the gas.

Interesting idea.  Sort of a 'DIY oxygenate'.  Would certainly cause the
engine to run leaner, which depending on your state of tune, may or may not
make it cleaner.

A practical way to do this on a car might be to run the car so there is only
a gallon or two left in the tank, measure how much (on most TRs you can
simply stick a ruler down the fill pipe), then add a few quarts of 'White
Lightening' or denatured alcohol and drive to the smog inspection station.
Afterwards, simply fill the tank with your favorite brand of fuel.

Many years ago, I tried running a TR3A on pure ethanol.  After adjusting the
mixture on the SUs, it ran quite well, with no apparent ill effects.  ISTR
driving about 20 miles before the 1 gallon can (US) ran dry.  But somehow
'corn squeezins' never got to be cheaper than gasoline (even bootleg), so I
never repeated the experiment.

Randall