Re: TR7 heads

To: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: TR7 heads
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 14:02:32 -31802 (PST)
On Mon, 28 Nov 1994, W. Ray Gibbons wrote:

> Those who are frustrated by hard to remove nuts, bolts, studs, etc.,
> should definitely buy a half-inch drive impact wrench.  These will often
> remove fasteners that otherwise will not budge.  I have not tried an
> impact wrench on frozen studs, but I suspect this would be your best bet
> for getting studs out intact.  I think one can buy a stud remover
>    Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics

Ditto Ray.
        I do have to add a Materials Science perspective here.  Corrosion
is usually in the form of metal oxides which are, by there very nature,
brittle intermetallic compounds.  So, they can be easily cracked.  If the
amount of corrosion isn't too great, try whapping the bolts with a hard
hammer (not lead or leather), and then try the impact wrench over the
double-nuts trick.
        Just don't impact your double-nut setup too hard lest you have
difficulty continuing with the project.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '67 Spit-6   '74 TR-6