HP gear oil and yellow metal

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: HP gear oil and yellow metal
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 25 Nov 1994 12:56:31 -0600
>From several sources (Skinned Knuckles, Flying Lady, etc):

EP (= Extreme Pressure) gear oils are compounded to maintain an oil
film under the high pressure encountered in a hypoid differential,
which combines the worst conditions for gears -- axial and lateral thrust as
well as sliding (ah, the price we pay for a lower floor).  These oils
contain sulfur compounds, which is why they are so tenaciously
aromatic.  These compounds _will_ attack most yellow metal alloys,
including brass, bronze and copper.  This is clearly a problem for
boxes with synchro rings or bronze gearing (such as found in the power
brake drive of a Phantom).

Bottom line:  Use what the mfr recommends.  You can get heavy (90+
weight) lube without EP additives if you have to have syrup in your
box.  There are a few vendors that even supply 600W (non-EP) lube,
which was commonly used in old Fords (T's and A's), which is what I
use in the steering box of my Roller.
                        A. B. Bonds