Strictly by the book

To: Pschauss@aol.com
Subject: Strictly by the book
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 13:30:15 -31802 (PST)
On Thu, 24 Nov 1994 Pschauss@aol.com wrote:

> In about two weeks I am going to be removing the gearbox on my
> Austin Healey 3000 to replace the balk rings.  The BMC shop
> manual says to support the engine sump (oil pan) in a "suitable"
> manner while removing the gearbox and bell housing from the rear.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to support the rear of the
> engine without putting a dent in the sump?
>
> Thanks
> Peter Schauss
> pschauss@aol.com

Well Peter,
        I consulted the factory workshop manual for my recent 85 XJ-12
transmission change, and it instructed the mechanic to "interpose a
suitable block of wood between the jack and the transmission mount"
Perhaps this will shed some light on your problem.
        I imagine that a "suitable" block of wood for the Jag would be a 1/2"
plywood venerred with Burl Walnut imported from Maine, clearcoated and polished.
        I'm not sure what the "suitable" wood would be for a Healey.
Perhaps you could consult your local Healey dealer.  He may have a
selection of wooden blocks, suitable for interposing between jack heads
and oil pans, probably in different colors to match your interior.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '67 Spit-6   '74 TR-6