Re: AH 3000 Gear Box

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: AH 3000 Gear Box
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 16:38:51 -0500 (EST)
Aw, it's not so bad. You just have to wear asbestos socks, available
from fine stores everywhere. Actually, I did melt a portion of the
sole of my sneakers driving the 300 without the heat shields, two summers
ago. The heat from the engine and box is fierce and there have been
complaints about it since the cars were new.

Once I went out for a test drive wearing SANDALS and got a heat blister on
the top of my foot in twenty minutes. Very painful and equally dumb.

What I did was put in the heat shilds, line the tunnel with foil covered
closed cell foam and jute line the carpet. Still, how people drive with a
hard top is beyond me. If they have AC then I assume that the engine
overheats instead of them.

These changes did make the driving experience enjoyable instead of
something to survive though.

Another mod that's nice for the "gas pedal foot" is to seal up every
little hole in the firewall with gasket and sealant, followed by more
of the foil/foam. THis makes a big difference. I then put a tiny little
fan in the footwell to circulate the air.

Christopher  Ball  triumph@io.org   Toronto, Ont. (416) 751-8300 Work
75 Spitfire // 64 Healey 3000 Mk. III // 59 TR3A //66 BSA Thunderbolt
Sign in a Hong Kong restaurant:
    Englishmen to note please:
WE SERVE TEA IN BAGS JUST LIKE MOTHER