AH 3000 Gear Box

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: AH 3000 Gear Box
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 1994 11:57:46 -0500 (EST)
Peter,

My first word of advise would be "make sure you want/need to do it."
The box on my 3000 III has whined and been a little difficult for
years. It's inherent in the car.

To do this in an "appropriate manner" (how quaint) you'll need:

- good height - get the car up on four GOOD stands.

- take out the tunnel cover and get at the bracing and u joints from
  above.

- "fashion" a square of 2x4 wood that you can put over the head of a
   trolly jack and "over up" this large wooden headed lifter to the
   sump thus distributing the load over a large area.

You don't want to lift the engine at all, just support the weight where it
currently sits of course.

If you have an OD in there then be sure that all the wiring is marked and
disconnected before the old heave ho.

I've had the clutch/box/OD out of mine three times now so write me directly
if you wish, but there was nothing really special about the job. I have
NOT, however, been into the gearbox so can't help there much I'm afraid.
Good luck with it.

Christopher  Ball  triumph@io.org   Toronto, Ont. (416) 751-8300 Work
'75 Spitfire 1500 // '64 Healey 3000 Mk. III // '59 TR3A
   1966 BSA Thunderbolt // Now a clean frame and rebuilt engine .