Re: head pulling

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: head pulling
From: Daren Stone <Daren_Stone@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 94 21:15:08 PST
---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------------
From: british-cars-owner@triumph.cs.utah.edu at SMTPGATE
Date: 11/22/94 11:51AM
*To: scottv@rpi.edu at SMTPGATE
*cc: british-cars@autox.team.net at SMTPGATE

Text item:

    While I have never worked on a TR7, let alone pull the head, it
looks infinitely more complicated that that of your std. A-series
Spridget, of which unfortunately I have pulled heads off of *several*
times. For reference, the two times I've pulled the head off of 1098s
(both friend's cars I'd never worked on before, one to change a valve &
the other a head gasket), neither time took more two people more than 4
hrs and 6 beers.

            cheers-
                    daren
Author:  british-cars-owner@triumph.cs.utah.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    11/22/94 11:51 AM

On Tue, 22 Nov 1994, Vaughan K. Scott wrote:

> Well, I got the head off the TR7 last night, and found that, as suspected,
> I have to replace the valves in cylinders 1 and 4.  waaaa.
>       However, given how long it took me to do it, and watching other...
<snip..snip>

Vaughan,
This morning I read the adventures of an Australian SOLer at the races.
It took them not even a day (rather hours?) to pull the head, change the
valve and (not quite machine it but) work on the valve seat and get it
going again - if I remember correctly. I was quite impressed. I know it
shouldn't take much longer, but why does it actually take usually so
long?
Maybe you have in your TR7 a different setup, i.e. maybe an OHC ?
At least this should remind us that after all it shouldn't be a big deal.

Cheers,
        Gus

Text item: External Message Header