Re[2]: head pulling

To: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>, scottv@rpi.edu
Subject: Re[2]: head pulling
From: LESNYD@ccmail.monsanto.com
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 94 14:11:45 cst
Subject: Re: head pulling
Author:  Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
Date:    11/22/94  2:00 PM

>On Tue, 22 Nov 1994, Vaughan K. Scott wrote:
>
>> Well, I got the head off the TR7 last night, and found that, as suspected,
>> I have to replace the valves in cylinders 1 and 4.  waaaa.
>>  However, given how long it took me to do it, and watching other...
><snip..snip>
>
>Vaughan,
>This morning I read the adventures of an Australian SOLer at the races.
>It took them not even a day (rather hours?) to pull the head, change the
>valve and (not quite machine it but) work on the valve seat and get it
>going again - if I remember correctly. I was quite impressed. I know it
>shouldn't take much longer, but why does it actually take usually so
>long?
>Maybe you have in your TR7 a different setup, i.e. maybe an OHC ?
>At least this should remind us that after all it shouldn't be a big deal.
>
>Cheers,
> Gus

Well, I'm not Vaughan, but the fact of the matter is, I could probably replace
a valve in my GT6 in about 4 hours, if all went well, and if I had the
necessary parts on hand. I pulled the head on the GT6 in 1 1/2 hours, and
I figure an hour to replace the valve and another 1 1/2 hours to put the
head back.

The overall task is taking several days, though, because I had to order the
valve and a gasket set. If I had had them on hand, I could have done the whole
job last Saturday morning!

Since this was the second time I had pulled the head, it was much simpler
this time. I knew what had to be done and how it all hooked together. Also,
nothing was seized or stuck, and the head came loose with some rocking.

I'm also getting really good at disassembling and reassembling the rear
suspension. I figure I could replace the transverse leaf spring on my GT6
in about an hour.

Wrenchingly yours,

Larry
lesnyd@monsanto.com