Re: Used engine

To: donne@ee.pitt.edu
Subject: Re: Used engine
From: Paul Osborne <paul@ee.rochester.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 1994 09:25:42 -0500 (EST)

> Hi folks,
>
>    I have recently had the good fortune of finding a used engine
> for my 1976 MGB.  It is located at a garage that I know to be
> reputable and quite experienced in Brit-car repair.  In fact,
> that is really about all they do.  I have been told that it
> has good compression, and he recommended that I should change
> about five gaskets as a safety precaution so that I don't have
> any oil leaks.  He said that once I change the gaskets, then
> clean it and paint it for aesthetics purposes, it should run
> like a champ.  He wants $600, and although he usually charges
> $150 without a core (my old engine is still in the car), he
> said he would only charge me an additional $50.
>
>    So, I'll ask the "experts" out there...  Is this a good
> deal, or am I asking for trouble?  Thanks in advance for
> any helpful hints of things to look for and consider.

        JD, is the garage willing to give you some thing in writting
        that the engine has good compression, not a oil burner,
        and good oil press.? I think that the groop will agree
        with me that, unless you can see the engine running you
        assume that in needs work. How much? You take your chances
        and sometimes you get a good one. Alot depends on you trust
        of the seller.

        paul