Used engine

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Used engine
From: donne@ee.pitt.edu (Jeff Donne)
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 94 16:26:15 EST
Hi folks,

   I have recently had the good fortune of finding a used engine
for my 1976 MGB.  It is located at a garage that I know to be
reputable and quite experienced in Brit-car repair.  In fact,
that is really about all they do.  I have been told that it
has good compression, and he recommended that I should change
about five gaskets as a safety precaution so that I don't have
any oil leaks.  He said that once I change the gaskets, then
clean it and paint it for aesthetics purposes, it should run
like a champ.  He wants $600, and although he usually charges
$150 without a core (my old engine is still in the car), he
said he would only charge me an additional $50.

   So, I'll ask the "experts" out there...  Is this a good
deal, or am I asking for trouble?  Thanks in advance for
any helpful hints of things to look for and consider.

JD