Re: bubble flares, hydraulic lines,

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu (W. Ray Gibbons)
Subject: Re: bubble flares, hydraulic lines,
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 94 14:27:55 PST

>    \      /     \\    //       /    \
>     \    /       \    /        \    /
>      |  |         |  |          |  |
>      plain       double        bubble
>
> I mean, assume you have new wheel and master cylinders for your 60 bugeye
> (to select a car at random), and want to attach new lines to them.
>
> What kind of flare are you saying should be used?  What kind of fittings
> should you buy?  What thread?  How long? Where should you buy them?  What
> flaring tool, and where should you get it?  Are the fittings and flares
> you are talking about the same as those on ready made brake lines one can
> buy out of the box at the local parts place?
>
> What kind of adapters and crush washers should you buy?  Where do you buy
> such a thing?  I doubt Billy's Auto Parts will know about them.
>
> Please, more help.
>
>    Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics

There's a book titled THE BRAKE HANDBOOK (I think) that goes into most
of this in detail.  It's available from Classic Motorbooks and I thought
I once saw it advertised in the Eastwood catalog but I just took a quick
look and did see it.  However I may have missed it.  It's one of those 8
1/2 x 11 soft covers from either HP Books or Petersen and is reasonably
priced.  I've also seen this book in book stores in the automotive
(transportation) section and at my local library

One thing I do recall being stated very emphatically in this book is to
never use single flares on brake lines.  I know plenty of people do this
without problems but I opted not to when I re-did my brakes.

I think bubble flares are the most common type found on cars today.
They're what are on the standard length lines most auto parts stores
sell.  I don't know why bubble flare are so common, maybe they're easy
and cheap to do in a manufacturing environment.  My lines had bubble
flares and male fittings on one end and double flares and female
fittings on the other end.  More commonly I think lines have bubble
flares and male fittings on both ends.

Since I had to replace my flex lines I decided to go to Teflon with
stainless steel web wrapping.  I think they significantly increased the
firmness of the brake pedal feel.  I'd do it again; especially since the
cost was about the same, if not less, than stock lines.

Aeroquip (Teflon/stainless) lines mate to AN type fittings.  I had to
buy adaptors for both ends of these lines to fit my brakes.  AN flares
are 37 1/2 degrees rather than the 45 degrees which is standard for
automotive and plumbing use.  I had all of flares on my lines that mated
to the AN fittings done 37 1/2 degrees double.  I was told this wasn't
necessary (i.e., 45 degrees would work just fine) but I'm kinda funny
when it comes to brakes.

You can do you own flaring but the tools are pricey and not worth the
cost, in my opinion, unless you plan to flare a lot of lines.  I paid a
race car fabrication shop to do my flares for me.  I'm sure they did a
far better job than I could have at probably 1/4 the cost.

Roland