Re: bubble flares, hydraulic lines,

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: Re: bubble flares, hydraulic lines,
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 16:00:00 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 4 Nov 1994, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

> Well, the correctness freaks will faint when they read this, so they
> should avert their eyes now.
>
> The best thing to do with bubble flares is get rid of them, and convert
> over to AN single flares. All the adapters you need are available, they
> seal to the original fitting with a crush washer, and making single
> flares is easy and reliable.

Well, after watching the mechanic sweat over the flares, including two
comebacks to fix leaks, I would rather have nonoriginal fittings that were
simple and reliable than original style fittings that are just barely
sealed.

But if you know what to do to be safe and happy, it would be nice to give
the rest of us poor wretches a tutorial.  Or at least *this* poor wretch.
 I've diddled around cars most of my life, but brake flares are a fairly
arcane topic.   I don't know what kinds of cars use what kinds of flares.
Do american cars use one kind and brits another?  I've seen bubble flares,
plain flares, and flares in which the pipe is doubled back on itself.  But
I don't know who uses what, or when they were used.

   \      /     \\    //       /    \
    \    /       \    /        \    /
     |  |         |  |          |  |
     plain       double        bubble

I mean, assume you have new wheel and master cylinders for your 60 bugeye
(to select a car at random), and want to attach new lines to them.

What kind of flare are you saying should be used?  What kind of fittings
should you buy?  What thread?  How long? Where should you buy them?  What
flaring tool, and where should you get it?  Are the fittings and flares
you are talking about the same as those on ready made brake lines one can
buy out of the box at the local parts place?

What kind of adapters and crush washers should you buy?  Where do you buy
such a thing?  I doubt Billy's Auto Parts will know about them.

Please, more help.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910