Re: bubble flares, hydraulic lines,

To: woodruff@engin.umich.edu (William Hartwell Woodruff)
Subject: Re: bubble flares, hydraulic lines,
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 94 12:36:20 PST
>       I'm trying to deal with the hydraulic lines on my Healey.  Most of the
>lines
> are pretty rusty and I'd like to replace them.  The problem is that I can't
>find
> anyone who can make a bubble flare.  The local Brit guru has a little die
>from
> Snap-on that will round the edges of a standard (typical american?) flare,
>but it is
> very hard to get good results with it ( and the die breaks often - he broke
>three
> while trying to make some lines for my Spit).  The other alternative is to
>buy premade
> bubble flare lines from my local import parts plces, but they only come in
>specified
> lengths.  If I try to cut them to size, we're back to the original problem of
>having
> to make a bubble flare at the cut end.
>       One workable option is to buy two premade bubble flare lines and splice
>them
> in the middle with a standard flare and barrel connector.  I am hoping for
>something
> a little more elegant.  First do fittings that convert from a bubble flare to
> standard flare exist?  A Cross sectional view would be like this:
>
> know of a good bubble flaring tool?  I'm really sick of having this problem!

Interesting.  The lines on my snake have bubble flares on one end and
double flares on the other; I made mine up from pre-made lines with the
bubble flares at both ends.

My first suggestion would be to find another place to have your lines
made.  There's nothing Brit car specific about bubble flares.  Most
newer cars have them.

You can buy your own bubble flaring tool and experiment on the cheap
lines that most auto parts stores sell.  I know JC Whitney sells the
tools but you might want to go to better quality.

You might also check a local aircraft maintenance place; maybe the have
better equipment a better skilled mechanics.

Roland