bubble flares, hydraulic lines,

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: bubble flares, hydraulic lines,
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 1994 14:52:44 -0500
        I'm trying to deal with the hydraulic lines on my Healey.  Most of the
lines
are pretty rusty and I'd like to replace them.  The problem is that I can't find
anyone who can make a bubble flare.  The local Brit guru has a little die from
Snap-on that will round the edges of a standard (typical american?) flare, but
it is
very hard to get good results with it ( and the die breaks often - he broke
three
while trying to make some lines for my Spit).  The other alternative is to buy
premade
bubble flare lines from my local import parts plces, but they only come in
specified
lengths.  If I try to cut them to size, we're back to the original problem of
having
to make a bubble flare at the cut end.
        One workable option is to buy two premade bubble flare lines and splice
them
in the middle with a standard flare and barrel connector.  I am hoping for
something
a little more elegant.  First do fittings that convert from a bubble flare to a
standard flare exist?  A Cross sectional view would be like this:

                       _   _
                     ___   ___
                    ____   ____  <----- Bubble flare male end
                    ___     ___
                    __       __
                    __       __
                    __       __   <---- Threaded shank
                    __       __
                    __       __
                    __       __
                  ____       ____
                 |__ \\     // __|
                 |__           __| <--- Standard flare female end

these would be screwed right into the various brake system parts and then I
could run
standard flare hydraulic lines (which I have a flaring tool for).  Otherwise,
does anyone
know of a good bubble flaring tool?  I'm really sick of having this problem!

William Woodruff        woodruff@engin.umich.edu        Ann Arbor MI