Re: TR6 directionals/flashers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 directionals/flashers
From: Joe Flake <flake@d311510.atl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 94 18:53:42 EDT
Others have scribed...

> >     I'm (still) having some annoying problems with my turn signals on my
> > '70 TR6.
>
> My money would be on a grounding problem that you have not yet unearthed
> (pun intended).  One thing to think about is that applying the brakes has
> such an effect.  It may not be that the brake lights reduce the voltage to
> the flasher, but that the brake lights supply voltage to the lamp sockets.

I too vote for a grounding issue.  Take one of your lamp sockets out
and verify the electrical path between the lamp socket itself (ie the
sleeve where the bulb goes) and the spring clamps which hold the
socket into its hole and provide ground.  The socket assembly is made
of two metal pieces clamped together.  Age and corosion can make this
good mechanical connection into a poor electrical connection.

I had this problem on my '72 TR6.  I seem to remember mine was a
brake light to tail light relationship (different since it involves
two elements of the same bulb) but worth checking for your problem as well.

I cured mine by prying apart the socket/clamp connection, scrubbing
the connection points, and using some silver solder to help the
clamp on reassembly.

Good luck!
Joe
flake@d311510.atl.hp.com