Re: TR6 directionals/flashers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: TR6 directionals/flashers
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 16:31:45 -0400
>My money would be on a grounding problem that you have not yet unearthed
>(pun intended).  One thing to think about is that applying the brakes has
>such an effect.  It may not be that the brake lights reduce the voltage to
>the flasher, but that the brake lights supply voltage to the lamp sockets.

        Brakes do reduce voltage both at the battery and flasher.  BTW,
voltage at battery (engine running) is the 13.xx range.  I'm _certain_ it's
not a grounding problem with the left rear.  I doubt it is with the front,
since the resistance is identical, left and right.  Both bulbs are new, I
just replaced them.

>I would recheck the rear grounds and make completely certain they are ok.

        I'm very certain.

>Have you checked the front ground?

        No, since it's not easy, but LF and RF resistance are identical.

>  I dunno, maybe the *flasher* needs to
>be well grounded and your replacement isn't (can't think why, but maybe).

        Nope.  Flasher has no ground, it's in-line, only two connections.
It's just the normal bimetal-type of flasher.  Since they work on current-
flow, the left must not be flowing as much current as the right.  Since they
have identical resistances, it must be some sort of current-induced difference?
(i.e. same resistance at 0 amps, more in the left at real-world conditions).

        Thanks!
        Randell