45DCOE Weber HELP!

To: autox@autox.team.net, lotus-cars@netcom.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 45DCOE Weber HELP!
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 18:00:31 -0500 (CDT)
Sorry to blast so many lists with this, but since I am downright terrified
of fire...  If you want to spare your list the volume, you may Email
directly.  If I find an answer that works from your collective experience,
I will post it.

I have a Lotus Europa with a longitudinally-mounted pushrod 4-cylinder
engine.  There is a 45DCOE Weber carb mounted on the left side.  It has
green foam "socks" over the intake stacks

The car was running when I bought it in July of 1991.  I spent the
intervening time rehabbing the chassis (yadda, yadda, yadda) and drove it
for a few days last fall.  I got it back together for two days of
parking-lot autocross last weekend.  I have never disassembled the carb,
only removed it, still attached to the intake manifold, to allow removal
the body.

It pulls LOTS of gees in cornering.  Seems it could have a bit more power,
but I don't have a lot of bucking or backfiring.

There seemed to be a bit of a gasoline smell about the car.  Right after
several minutes of idling followed by about a minute of autocross run, I
parked it and pulled the engine cover.  There was fuel dripping from the
socks and forming a puddle on the horizontal fiberglass panel below.  Good
job it was outboard of the hot bundle-of-snakes header (this is not a
cross-flow head).

Fuel is apparently coming OUT where the air is supposed to go IN.  I don't
know what caused it, but I want to stop it.  Preferably before I immolate
my plastic car.

The car may be running pretty rich, but not rich enough to give
drivability problems.

Is this a high float level?

Too rich of jets?

Caused by vibration?  There are no "isolator gizmos" between carb and
manifold.

Is this inevitable with high gee-loading?  But they use these things on
Real Race Cars!

If you all tell me that I have to take it to the local dyno shop and get
it retuned, I'm there.  The dyno guy told me over the phone that he was
not used to seeing fuel come out the air intake on side-draft Webers.

I will be getting a Haynes Weber manual from a friend, but I am looking
for some real-world help here.

I have another event on May 1, and want to get in some seat time without
threat of conflagration.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676  USA
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 266-6244    phile@stpaul.gov
"...make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong --
look what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a
few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver." - Colin Chapman