Re: accomplishments (1974 midget troubles)

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: accomplishments (1974 midget troubles)
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 19:20:28 -0400 (EDT)
Mike said:

> Another site of wear is the throttle plates.  I have seen throttle
> plates with a definite oval shape to them.  When taking the
> "incremental" approach to carb repair, it is a cheap and easy thing to
> do first and it may drop your idle to a reasonable level.
>
> Mike
> mburdick@unmc.edu

 Well, yes. I've seen high side thrust situations that caused the butterfly
to rub on the side of the carb bore, and wear down a bit. But be careful
here. Throttle butterflies do not close to a full 90 degree angle. They
stop at about fifteen degrees shy of straight up. So, as an mathie can tell
you, a skewed slice through a cylinder will give you an oval. Throttle
butterflies are *supposed* to be oval.

 Marcus has checked the butterfly fit. As I recall, he said it was fine.
>From his description, and the fact that it was a sudden thing, I still
suspect the over run valve springs.

   Randy
     randy@taylor.wyvern.com