Re: Torque wrenches & extensions.

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Torque wrenches & extensions.
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 22:48:44 -0400 (EDT)

> On a theoretical level, the socket extension can act as a torsion bar,
> reducing the torque getting through to the head of the nut or bolt.
> I don't think this makes much of a difference for a normal sized extension
> (which to me means 3/8" drive by 6-7 inches long).   Anybody have a
> table we could look this up on?  Just curious...
> --toms.

 Huh? The torsion bar effect, which is very real, will not affect the torque
being applied to the bolt head one bit. All that happens is you have to moce
the torque wrench through a greater arc before reaching the desired torque.
The excess motion is used up by the flimsy extension winding up.

   Randy
     randy@taylor.wyvern.com