Re: Torque wrenches & extensions.

To: bownes@lucas.emi.com, gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: Torque wrenches & extensions.
From: sbender@dsd.es.com (Steve Bender)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 94 12:24:36 MDT
> But more interestingly, what if you attached a conventional extension
> between the torque wrench and the socket.  The torque applied twists the
> extension now, as well as bending the handle.  The *real* torque for a
> given amount of hand force has not changed one whit, so those who said the
> extension would not change the torque are right--it wouldn't change the
> *real* torque.  The question I cannot answer to my satisfaction is whether
> the *reading* of torque would be wrong.  Part of me says, well, you have
> changed the overall spring properties of the system, which has to affect
> the pointer.  Another part of me says, hey, after you get the extension
> wound up, the fact it is there does not matter because the torque at each
> end of the extension is the same and the wrench should read correctly.

Perhaps you can best answer this one yourself with this following mental
exercise:

1.  Hang a 5lb weight from a hanging type scale... What does the scale
    read?

2.  Now, place a spring between the scale and the weight such that the
    weight places tension on the spring stretching it (assume the
    spring's weight is negligible)... Now what does the scale read

The principle here is just the same as with the torque-wrench confusion
only the "stress" involved is tortional and not tensional.

-Steve-

P.S. Isn't Physics fun?