Re: Torque wrenches & extensions.

To: british-cars-request@triumph.cs.utah.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Torque wrenches & extensions.
From: bownes@lucas.emi.com (Bownes)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 17:44:12 +0500
->> On a theoretical level, the socket extension can act as a torsion bar,
->> reducing the torque getting through to the head of the nut or bolt.
->
->Ummm, I don't think that's too likely. Any torque you apply to one end
->of the extension is going to have to be opposed by the equal opposite
->torque at the other end. Sure, it twists some (not so as I could tell,
->but "theoretically"), but it will transmit all the torque...

Theory or no, my beam type torque wrentch came with a formula for the
correction factor. It's not much though.