Re: Torque wrenches & extensions.

To: toms@sharebase.com (Tom Sabo)
Subject: Re: Torque wrenches & extensions.
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 14:32:47 PDT
In message <9404142108.AA23312@sharebase.com> you write:
>On a theoretical level, the socket extension can act as a torsion bar,
>reducing the torque getting through to the head of the nut or bolt.

I don't understand this.  At equilibrium, the torque at all points of the
extension will be equal.  It HAS to be since the wrench/extension/bolt is not
moving.

Sure, you'll have to feed more energy into the system to GET that torque if
you have to wind up the extension....

but on another note, I vaguely remember reading in some textbook that there
WERE extensions that made the torque wrench beam longer and gave formulas
for the correction factors.  (basic statics...physics 1) Perhaps that was what
the original message was about?