Re: MGB Muffler Advice

To: Bob.Gibbons@dseg.ti.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Muffler Advice
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 94 09:02:33 -0700
In message <9404072357.AA19895@delphi.dseg.ti.com>  writes:

> I guess it isn't very sexy, but I've had my '64 B for 29 years and I
> finally gave up trying to keep a complete muffler system in the car. For
> the last 15 years or so I have just used a Midas mid-body muffler with a
> straight pipe from the mid-body muffler to the back bumper. I totally
> eliminated the back resonator. Seems to have worked out just fine. One
> caution is to make sure the muffler or its pipe is mounted low enough
> that the rear axle does not hit the pipe at full rebound, it a sure way
> to break a muffler hanger strap.
>
> Bob
>
> ----
> Bob Gibbons                           Texas Instruments
> Internet: Bob.Gibbons@dseg.ti.com     Dallas, TX

I went the opposit direction.  I kept running aground on speedbumps.  My muffler
was taking a beating and the exhaust pipe kept seperating until I had it welded
onto the muffler and a ramp strap added from the exhaust pipe to the front of
the muffler.  When the muffler finally got a hole beat into it, I replaced it
with a pipe.  So all the BGT has is a long pipe and the resonator at the back.

And I no longer run aground on high speed bumps (sports car excluders).

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561