MGB Muffler Advice

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Muffler Advice
From: rcg@delphi.dseg.ti.com (bob gibbons)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 94 18:57:55 CDT
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 94 15:35:45 EDT
> From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
> Subject: MGB Muffler advice.

> I need to get a new muffler for my '74 MGB as the Cherry Bomb that is
> there now is, uhm, woefully inadequate.  Any recommendations for
> something that won't break the bank?  From scanning my catalogs, it
> looks like I can get a stock setup for about $120, an ANSA for about
> $150, a Monza for about $120, a Paeco Big Bore for about $190.  Any
> thoughts on any of these?  I want something that isn't real loud and
> droney, but I've also seen people mention on this list that the stock
> muffler on a B is really pretty restrictive.

I guess it isn't very sexy, but I've had my '64 B for 29 years and I
finally gave up trying to keep a complete muffler system in the car. For
the last 15 years or so I have just used a Midas mid-body muffler with a
straight pipe from the mid-body muffler to the back bumper. I totally
eliminated the back resonator. Seems to have worked out just fine. One
caution is to make sure the muffler or its pipe is mounted low enough
that the rear axle does not hit the pipe at full rebound, it a sure way
to break a muffler hanger strap.

Bob

----
Bob Gibbons                             Texas Instruments
Internet: Bob.Gibbons@dseg.ti.com       Dallas, TX