Re: Triumph TR6 neophyte questions...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, zimerman@MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Triumph TR6 neophyte questions...
From: khazad!briton!bownes@uu2.psi.com (Robert M. Bownes III)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1993 15:27:10 +0500
->I am the proud new owner of a '71 TR6, and although the car is in great shape
->for any old '71, it is not in wonderful shape for the wonderful car that I
->have found it is.  I have ordered a catalog from Victoria British, from whom
->I intend to order manuals, but they quoted me a 2-3 week delivery time
(holiday
->mail estimate) and I had a couple questions I couldn't wait on. Here goes.
->

        Welcome!
->1)  Does this car use unleaded gasoline?  Or do I need to give her additives?

        I`ve been running my TR-6 since 1985 with unleaded. There has been no
evidnce
of valve recession any time I've had thge head off. The 6 cylinder TR's all
seem to have
been built with hardened valve seats.

->2)  In initiating myself into the SOL by wrestling with the spaghetti under
->    her dash, I found that I couldn't find anything that looked like
instrument
->    lighting, although I haven't had the time to yank the dash.  On the other

->    hand, there is a knob in the middle of the secondary gauges that looks
->    suspiciously like a dimmer.  It isn't connected to anything at all at the
->    moment.  Is this indeed a dimmer, which would mean there *are* lights I
->    haven't found?

        Yup, the black knob in the middle of the guages is the dimmer. The
instrument lights
all plug into the back of the instruments (ie there is a fixture with a bulb in
it
that plugs into the unstrument. I think bilb wires are red and red/white.

->3)  What is the best method of coping with rust?  There are no really major
->    patches, and from crawling underneath it appears that the frame is rusty
->    but so far no real penetration.  Since this is Boston, winter, I would
love
->    to have the peace of mind of having made some effort to forestall
disaster.

        Remove as much as possible to asses the damage. Get a professional to
weld in
patches if needed, paint the rest wit a heavy duty paint, then rustproof the
bottom
of the car. Be especially carefull of the following trouble spots:

        Frame - rear trailing arm attachment points
        Body - rocker panels, drivers footbox, over the side/rear taillights,
seam
                along the top of the rear quarterpanel esp right above the
wheel.

->4)  Having traced 90% of my Lucas problems to the fuse box and related
connect-
->    ors, how easily replaced is it?

        Replacing the fuse box is really easy. Replacing the connectors on the
harness
that ,go to it us harder and probably uneccesary. Cleaning all of the
connectors with
emory paper and then coating all of them with an appropriate electrical
connector sealant
seems to do the trick for me.

->Thanks for your patience!  I *love* my TR6. God, it feels nice to say that and
->not have people laugh at me...:-)
->

        Just wait a few years.....:-}

iii