Triumph TR6 neophyte questions...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph TR6 neophyte questions...
From: jey@frame.com (Jeff Young)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 93 13:53:51 PST
> I have ordered a catalog from Victoria British, from whom I intend to
> order manuals, but they quoted me a 2-3 week delivery time (holiday
> mail estimate)...

You'll need to get both the Robert Bently manual and the Haynes manual.  I
was a complete novice myself when I started on my TR6's and the only way I
could get enough info to feel comfortable about what I was about to do was
to read BOTH manuals.

2)  In initiating myself into the SOL by wrestling with the spaghetti under
    her dash, I found that I couldn't find anything that looked like instrument
    lighting, although I haven't had the time to yank the dash.  On the other
    hand, there is a knob in the middle of the secondary gauges that looks
    suspiciously like a dimmer.  It isn't connected to anything at all at the
    moment.  Is this indeed a dimmer, which would mean there *are* lights I
    haven't found?

The dimmer is the flat round thing in the middle of the dash.  The lights
in the instruments are round bulbs about the size of a large pea pushed into
the back of the instruments.  There is one in each of the smaller guages,
and I think 3 in each of the larger ones.  Believe it or not, you can get
your head completely into the driver's footbox, and with a good flashlight
and a mechanics mirror, you should be able to find most everything.

Of course, if the previous owner disconnected it, it's probably becuause
it was sparking, blowing fuses, or engaging in some other favorite Lucas
pastime.

3)  What is the best method of coping with rust?  There are no really major
    patches, and from crawling underneath it appears that the frame is rusty
    but so far no real penetration.  Since this is Boston, winter, I would love
    to have the peace of mind of having made some effort to forestall disaster.

Check very carefully where the rear trailing arms connect to the frame rail;
my '74 (which grew up in Michigan) failed there (the inboard mount came
completely free from the frame, leaving the right rear wheel attached at too
few points to maintain it's composure).

-- Jeff Young