Triumph TR6 neophyte questions...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph TR6 neophyte questions...
From: -------------------------------------------------------------------- <zimerman@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 93 16:41:19 EST
Hello all! (de-lurking at last)

I am the proud new owner of a '71 TR6, and although the car is in great shape
for any old '71, it is not in wonderful shape for the wonderful car that I
have found it is.  I have ordered a catalog from Victoria British, from whom
I intend to order manuals, but they quoted me a 2-3 week delivery time (holiday
mail estimate) and I had a couple questions I couldn't wait on. Here goes.

1)  Does this car use unleaded gasoline?  Or do I need to give her additives?
2)  In initiating myself into the SOL by wrestling with the spaghetti under
    her dash, I found that I couldn't find anything that looked like instrument
    lighting, although I haven't had the time to yank the dash.  On the other
    hand, there is a knob in the middle of the secondary gauges that looks
    suspiciously like a dimmer.  It isn't connected to anything at all at the
    moment.  Is this indeed a dimmer, which would mean there *are* lights I
    haven't found?
3)  What is the best method of coping with rust?  There are no really major
    patches, and from crawling underneath it appears that the frame is rusty
    but so far no real penetration.  Since this is Boston, winter, I would love
    to have the peace of mind of having made some effort to forestall disaster.
4)  Having traced 90% of my Lucas problems to the fuse box and related connect-
    ors, how easily replaced is it?
5)  Does anyone from Lucas have a known location where I could send them a tape
    of me giving them a big, fat, juicy raspberry?

Thanks for your patience!  I *love* my TR6. God, it feels nice to say that and
not have people laugh at me...:-)

-JBZimmerman!