Re: Does this come in an 11EEE?

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu (W. Ray Gibbons)
Subject: Re: Does this come in an 11EEE?
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1993 13:17:14 -0600 (CST)
W. Ray Gibbons writes>

TeriAnn writes > >

> > 2. My legs are too long for a GT6 or Mark I sprite.
>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> You must be pretty tall (i.e. taller than me).  My legs are quite
> comfortable.  I have an acquaintance who I think is over 6' and he drives
> one.  He does complain a bit, but his car has a later model seat which
> steals a inch or two legroom.

And arm room.  It is that the steering wheel is right in your chest.  The
culprit is, as Ray suggests, the late-model seat.  If you put in a roll
bar (and you ought) it gets worse.  The earlier seats, which had a back
that looks like a section of a barrel, solves this problem for many folks.
The early seat can be pushed all the way back to the shelf even with the
roll bar installed.  Some racing seats may be better than this, others worse.

Still, I can see where long-legged TeriAnn could have a problem.

I am about 5'9" and not exactly known for long legs. I ran with an early
stock seat pushed all the way back in a '66 Midget.  I actually have the
seat in my S2 Europa one notch up from the back.  I also find lying down
in the Europa to be easier on my back than sitting bolt upright with my
legs straight out in front of me.  I just need thin shoes, as most styles
in size 10 get too many pedals at once in a Europa.  The shoes that were
helpful in *autocrossing* the Midget are necessary to drive the Lotus on
the *street*.

Phil "Don't EVEN suggest that I try to touch my toes" Ethier

It's still hip to be octagonal.  Whaddaya call the Lotus emblem shape, anyway?