Re: MGB clutch

To: mfrankfo@nebula.tbe.com
Subject: Re: MGB clutch
From: jerry@tr2.com
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1993 08:16:37 +0000 (GMT)
> MGA's are a different story. It took hours and a complete
> lexicon of swear words, and multiple beers to get the #@%&* engine
> back in the #$@! car.

*** The MGA factory workshop manual says that the only correct
way to R&R the engine is as a unit with the transmission. I've
done it both ways, and all I can say is I'd like to find the
idiot who wrote that and bolt _him_ up to a transmission!  Sure,
it was easier for them, they installed the new power units
on the frame, before putting the body on it!

   For a transmission/engine unit to get into the car, it needs
to describe a precise arc through the air, accurate to within a
fraction of an inch. Otherwise the engine will catch on the
lip at the front of the compartment, munging it and forcing you
to do subsequent bodywork.

  On the other hand, if you R&R the engine alone, it drops straight
down and mates right up.  And I've never had any particular problem
getting the transmission input shaft into the clutch, as long as I
watched the angle of the shaft.

                                          - Jerry
--
* Jerry Kaidor       jerry@tr2.com, jkaidor@synoptics.com     *
*                    KF6VB                                    *