RE: MGB clutch

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB clutch
From: mfrankfo@nebula.tbe.com
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 93 09:46:49 CST
>I need to replace the clutch in a 74 1/2 MGB (the clutch is slipping).
>Would you recommend pulling out the engine with or without the
>transmission?

The hardest part of replacing a clutch in an MGB is the mating of
the engine and gearbox and aligning the clutch. This job is
easier with the engine and gearbox on the garage floor. It is
easy to get them both out together. Remove the radiator and mounting
bracket (big sheet metal piece bolted to car). Remove the gear shift
lever, gearbox crossmember, and driveshaft. The engine/gearbox can be
tilted and hoisted out. Once someone offered me an MGB engine
in a car if I would come get it. I loaded up my engine hoist, jack stands
and misc tools. I had the engine out of a running car (I shut it off
first) in less than 30 minutes. It took about that long to put in
my car. MGA's are a different story. It took hours and a complete
lexicon of swear words, and multiple beers to get the #@%&* engine
back in the #$@! car.

 Martin Frankford                 Teledyne Brown Engineering, Inc.
 mfrankfo@nebula.tbe.com     (205)726-2366 voice (205)726-3976 fax