Re: UK custom duties

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Re: UK custom duties
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1993 08:37:48 -0500 (EST)
Duty on car parts imported from the UK into the US is 3.5%, I think.
Entire cars are 2.5% (I have an appeal going on this point on my jag
body now; Customs thinks it was parts, I say it was a car :-) When you
get stuff mailed in, they tag on a processing fee that's around $10-15.
I have occasionally received stuff without having to pay duty, but
they seem to have gotten better at spotting my orders recently :-)

When importing large and/or heavy items, it may be useful to go through
a customs broker.  They'll handle all of the paperwork and the fees
are minimal.  I had a brake upgrade kit for my TR8 from Rimmer Bros
handled this way.  Considering the air fares, it might have been better
to have gone over, had a pint or two and brought it back as baggage.

There's a rather bizarre break even point for air freight vs ocean
freight.  For small items it's cheaper to send it by air.

--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  | Amaranth's Law of Economics: