Engine, EGR & Vacuum lines, & other ramblings..

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine, EGR & Vacuum lines, & other ramblings..
From: creemer@netcom.com (David Z. Creemer)
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1993 23:38:15 -0800
Hi,
today my new LBC failed it's first smog test :-(! The technician claimed two
problems: too lean mixture (as evidenced by very low CO emission levels) and a
broken EGR valve. He's probably right about the mixture (it idles a bit rough
when warm). So, question one: is the "ColorTune" mixture tuning device worth my
time and money? I see that Moss, VB, etc... hype it. Any and all advice would
be appreciated.
  More importantly, I need to correct the EGR problem. Even though the
technician claimed the valve was faulty, I'd like to be very sure before I drop
$250 on a new one. Specifically, I want to rule out a vacuum problem. Here's
what I know: I seem to have a vary bizarre engine/carb setup: my engine number
is FP32923UE, which doesn't fit with anything I can find. All of my Haynes
and Bentley diagrams seem to indicate a 1974 1500cc Federal emissions model -
which fits with the car (oo - sorry a 1974 Spit 1500!). The Carb, which has no
number on it where the manual says it should, looks to be a Stromberg 150CD4. I
have a receipt from the previous owner in which a "rebuilt, used Spit 1500
motor" was installed in 1981. Question two: what is this thing?
  Anyway, back to my EGR valve - I warmed the engine, and checked the vacuum
line to the ERG valve -- nothing. The I remembered that these things are
supposed to kick in at higher then idle rpms, so I checked again at about 2500
and then 3500 rpms -- also nothing. The vacuum advance to the distributor _was_
sucking nicely. So question three: what the heck is going on? Did I check the
ERG control vacuum line under the right conditions? It seems silly to replace
an EGR valve if there is no vacuum control signal.
  As a complete aside, I have to say that I've been having tremendous fun
working on this car and reading this list -- this is my first "fix it yourself
car," and I've picked up quite a bit since my last engine experience --
rebuilding a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engine in junior high school!
  Not to mention that the car is a blast to drive.

-- David
David Z. Creemer   ||   San Francisco, California USA  ||   creemer@netcom.com