High tarrifs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: High tarrifs
From: mfrankfo@nebula.tbe.com
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 93 10:05:25 CST
>One thing to keep in mind are potential US customs duties that the Post
>Office will demand in order to deliver. I have never completely figured
>out the algorithm used but it can be significant (10%) on expensive orders.

Until I ordered some Riley parts from Scotland, I didn't either. It turns
out that international auto parts trade is heavily regulated and subject
to large tariffs. Not the recent NAFTA vote and all the hoopla about
US auto parts plants moving to Mexico. Well the Scots told me the answer.
Have the packages marked "Antique auto parts". Antique auto parts are
not subject to all the regulations. After all, no union jobs will be
lost by importing parts for 40 year old cars!

Note: if your car was made after 1967, you may be out of luck. The
EPA and DOT rules come into effect on cars made after 1967. I have heard of
people to say order a set of valves for a '66 MGB and
mistakenly put them in a '69 MGB motor, but I can't confirm this personally.

 Martin Frankford                 Teledyne Brown Engineering, Inc.
 mfrankfo@nebula.tbe.com     (205)726-2366 voice (205)726-3976 fax