Re: Calipers and suspension bushings

To: woodruff@engin.umich.edu
Subject: Re: Calipers and suspension bushings
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 93 14:43:45 CDT
   >    A few questions for the list.  I have some very, very stuck bleader
screws
   > in my GT6 calipers.  Aside from heat, easy outs, and left hand drill bits,
does
   > anybody have any suggestions about getting those $%^&* things out?

Well, I kind of hate to admit this but: ViseGrips work like a charm.  If
they are really tight, a little liquid wrench might help.  Of course,
this is a fix only if you have new bleeder screws in hand.  I think I
was able to find screws at the local Western Auto.

   > could I use a bead blaster and blast at low pressure (say 20 psi) until the
   > surface is dulled?

I would think this would make small pits.  Honing makes scores around the
circumference of the bore.  It's hard to say whether the seals will seal
around the pits.  I would stick with the hone myself.

Good luck,
Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu

PS.  As far as getting bushings to go into suspension parts, I've always
     used grease.  Silicone seems like a good idea though...