Re: vanity plates

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vanity plates
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 14:19:08 CDT
> The funniest story regarding vanity plates happened in NYC. It seams
> that an applicant could only come up with two guesses. The third
> choise so he put "NONE". We.....ll when the NYC cops find a car
> without plates, they put NONE in the space for liscence numbers.

Heh, heh. I spotted a car outside our office whose owner had obviously
put a bit more thought into it... his plates read "VOID 2". A pity that
someone else had apparently already nabbed "VOID"; this presumably made
for a parking-ticket-proof car, at least before the computerized portable
ticket entry terminals came into use here. Any cop turning in his ticket
book with "VOID" showing would have a hard time getting that ticket
processed into the system. Nowadays they just type in the offending plate
into the portable computer on the spot, the ticket is printed out, and
the portable gadget itself is downloaded into the mainframe at the end of
the shift. I'd guess that without a plate, they enter the VIN instead.

Now if we could sell the City of Chicago on, say, a Lucas-designed ticketing
system, that might make for some interesting results. :-)

-- Andy