RE: Calipers and suspension bushings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, woodruff@engin.umich.edu
Subject: RE: Calipers and suspension bushings
From: "GERONIMO, SC9-32, 765-4903, PAGE 231-6612" <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 93 13:05:28 PDT

>       A few questions for the list.  I have some very, very stuck bleader
>screws in my GT6 calipers.  Aside from heat, easy outs, and left hand drill
>bits, does anybody have any suggestions about getting those $%^&* things out?

I've used WD-40 and freeze spray on a couple of frozen bolts where I couldn't
use heat or EZ-outs.

>       What is the purpose of honing cylinders?  As I understand it, its to
>roughen up the glazed surface so the new seals can wear in.  If this is the
>case, could I use a bead blaster and blast at low pressure (say 20 psi) until
>the surface is dulled?

I think it gives a nice even surface so the seals seal properly.  Why bother
with a bead blaster if a hone will do the job?  I would think bead blasting is
too rough and would give uneven results.  If the caliper walls are in poor
shape, replace them or have them sleeved.

>       When you are inserting rubber bushings into suspension components, what
>do you use to lubricate them?  Otherwise, is there a trick to slide them in
w/o >using lubricant?  I'm guessing some sort of silicone spray, any specific
brands?

Dish soap works well, although I've used Dow Corning silicon grease a couple of
times too.

Mike G.