Re: LBC Transport

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LBC Transport
From: "David Young" <dmy@mailgate.nyserda.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 93 10:11:03 EST
>On my last move, I rented the standard UHaul auto trailer.  Had to bail on
>using it (resulting in a fun high-speed trip later on) 'cause I couldn't
>get the MGB up the ramp without bottoming it out.  Even using inclined
>driveways, curbs, etc, would not give enough clearance to get over the
>bend at the transition from ramp to bed.  Didn't have wood available to
>build a very long ramp.
>
>John Sanders

Thought my .02 would be worth something.  I once moved a Lotus Europa 250
miles on a UHaul auto trailer.  The car has about a 6" clearance, but I got it
on the trailer.  The trick was to load the car on the trailer before hitching
it to my truck.  Block the trailer wheels, then use the cranking jack stand to
raise the front of the trailer.  As you raise it, the angle between the ramp
and the bed is reduced.  Drive onto the trailer, secure the car, lower the
trailer onto the ball hitch, and drive into the sunset.

David Young             Disclaimer: MHO's are M, not my employer's
dmy@nyserda.org         '71 Lotus Europa S2