re: Spitfire history question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Spitfire history question
From: sbender@dsd.es.com (Steve Bender)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 93 09:58:40 MDT
> >I was just out in the garage lavishing some well-deserved attention on
> >my '80 Spitfire, when the little "SCCA National Champion" plate on the
> >dash caught my eye again.  I've meant to ask about this before, but
> >never seem to remember...
> >
> >Anyway, it claims that the Spitfire was the "SCCA National Champion"
> >in 1965 and 68-78... a grand total of 13 years.  Sounds impressive
> >to me.  Could someone provide some details?  Like what kind of racing
> >was this?  What happened in '79?  Are there any other cars with such
> >a seemingly impressive string of successes?
> >Eric

> The Spitfire was in class F in the "production" based SCCA sports car racing.
> Early 1200/1300cc Spitfires also ran in Glass G.  They were very
> competitive in those classes (actually there weren't too many other
> makes/models that raced in those classes either.  Many F production races
> were an entire field of Spitfires with but a small sprinkling of other
> marques.

> Bill

I met a fellow this past weekend named Dick Rose.  He claims to have once
been the owner of a large Southern California Triumph dealership and provided
the cars for these events... He also claims that his cars held several records
at Laguna Seca for a number of years.

In any event he told me that he still has a number of the original Triumph
competition manuals that he's looking to get rid of... May I should try to
hunt him down.

-Steve-