first post

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: first post
From: mjb@triumph (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 93 23:26:31 -0600
    Date: Tue, 25 May 93 15:17:41 +0900
    Sent By: igeta@ars.ntt.jp (Kazuhiro IGETA)

Hi, there: I am another seven lover, having been peeping into this ML
for a while in the assistance of my collegue Frogmania.

I would tell something I know about Super7.

   K series : 1.4l Rover K series car, De dion and optional catalyst
   :-/ >From 14000 pounds

   HPC : 2.0l Vauxhall HPC engine, up to 235 hp 8-> Lots of pounds.

Toward next century, caterham have chosen These two engines, although,
good old Ford block is going to be armed with brand new 4valve head,
oh no!, not Cosworth but rather Holbay-related Zeta unit.  Caterham
insists that emission controlled Zeta won't produce more hp than less
heavy K series under the same restriction,i.e. without that Italian
barrels but fuel injected.  It may be true, at present, but no one
knows how long it will be so.  Caterham released 130bhp version K
series and upgrade kit for the former customers who want more power.
According to an ad. of Osseli, one of the most famous engine builder,
K series will tuned high up to extract 190bhp, while Vauxhalls do 250
bhp.

I am a strong believer in too much power over 200bhp must more harm
than good for such an basically-old-designed car.  Especially, one
will destroy its suspension very soon without modifying it totally as
an racing model.

   De dion : Ford sierra xr4i 5 speed box, Ford sierra 3.93 rear diff
   and caterham drive shafts.  Live axle : Ford escort ? 4 speed box,
   Morris marina rear axle.

Anybox used for Escort and elder Corsair.  Close ratio box is also
available from Ford, called rocket box, which is installed in my
caterham. 5sp.Rocket is also exists.  Marina and Ital's are the rather
popular axle today but RS2000 Escort's was adopted originally in the
days of S3 and used for early Caterhams.  Rear diff.s are compatible
among all live axles.  4.11 is the best both for getting more
accelaration and durability.  You may fit other axles with some
effort.  Mine has modern Capri2.8i axle with its bigger brake drum.
Acompanied with front AP racing vented disk, I never feel rear discs
are necessary.  Its stopping power is far enough for 1700cc Lotus
twincam yields around 150bhp.

Lastly, I would introduce my cars at present following your format.

MAKE            MODEL                   YEAR    COND    COMMENTS -
Caterham Super7(shrt ckpt,live axl      '89      2  rear wing hit,otherwise
         1700cc tall blck LotusTC)                  cond.1.5,BRG/YNose

BMW/ALPINA      2002tii/A4S             '72      2  RHD/5y-old restoration
                                                    turbo addenda,210bhp
                                                    difficult to go slowly
-------------------------------

I previously owned another caterham with normal(who knows?) Lotus TC
fitted. It was bought from Caterham Car Sales as an factory warranted car.
I found the car fascilitate sprinkler in the nose cone 30 minutes after
the custom clearance. Because we have no lawn circuit except for horses,
this bright invention was disables by filling the hole on the radiator
with solder. By the experiences with this car I learned how to get along
caterham cars company. Then I bought the present car from an individual
enthusiast risking the beforehand payment.
Now, I am planning to get an original Lotus 7 series 3 with (again!)
Lotus Twincam. The chassis No. is 2578, while Jerremy Coulter's book
Lotus and Caterham 7's tells that official record ended up at 2576!
Fake one, or the very last example!? Interesting anyhow!
Does anyone know more information on the last of original sevens?

Regards,

Kazuhiro Igeta, NTT Basic Research Laboratories, Tokyo