Spitfire history question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire history question
From: "Eric Olson" <ERIC@chip.cba.ufl.edu>
Date: 16 Jun 93 21:53:07 EST
I was just out in the garage lavishing some well-deserved attention on
my '80 Spitfire, when the little "SCCA National Champion" plate on the
dash caught my eye again.  I've meant to ask about this before, but
never seem to remember...

Anyway, it claims that the Spitfire was the "SCCA National Champion"
in 1965 and 68-78... a grand total of 13 years.  Sounds impressive
to me.  Could someone provide some details?  Like what kind of racing
was this?  What happened in '79?  Are there any other cars with such
a seemingly impressive string of successes?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me!

Eric

Eric Olson                                      eric@chip.cba.ufl.edu
Dir. Instructional & Research Computing      eeco@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu
UF College of Business Admin                      (904) 392-6869x1267