re: Miata Friendly

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Miata Friendly
From: rlindsay@amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 93 11:12:01 CDT
mfrankfo@skynet.tbe.com writes:
> Of course I drive Miata friendly. I wave as I pass. Even if it is with one
>digit.

I lived in New Orleans for about 6 years.  One finger waves will get you chased
down and beaten there.  I kinda got out of the habit.

> I brake when they get in the way. You can't blame them for driving eratz
>sports cars.

Actually, most Miata owners that I have known are very rational people.  I don't
particularily care for rational people.  They're too predictable.  I couldn't
stand the thought of my car being classed 'reliable' or even 'practical' for
that matter.
Perhaps the Miatas fill a position.  You know, the car for the TOTALLY
unmechanical
person that wants wind-in-the-hair without having to know anything more about
the car
than which side of the car ther fuel filler is on.  To me, on the 'Grand Scale
of the
Universe', the Miata occupies the next step up from the Geo Metro.  But I feel
this
way about Hondas, Toyotas, Nissons,etc.  They just seem synthetic.  A pattern
may be
developing...

> They aren't tuned into the Spartan /stoic lifestyle associated with LBC
>operations.

I think that you have a point here.  Much of the romance in LBC ownership comes
from the
history that you and the car share.  Especially when that history represents a
time
of struggle.

> They don't get the pleasure of trouble shooting a dead car beside the
>Interstate
> on a dark rainy night. They don't have to slip on the oil spots deposited at
>random
> on the driveway.

Again, which side is the fuel tank on?  Besides, when an LBC quits leaking oil
- it's empty!

> They don't have to worry about parts availablity. (in 5 years they
> won't have any parts problems. There won't be any).

I can't imagine a Miata owner buying parts.  Perhaps they take it to their
dealer
on the way to work, leave it all day, then pick it up on the way home.

> I can still remember trying to operat my 1971 MGB in the early '80s. Even Moss
> Motors didn't supply parts.

Aaaaah, such wonderful memories.  Except mine was a AH - 100/6.

> I don't think there will be much of an aftermarket supply of Miata parts. So
>the
> problem is self correcting.

Isn't evolution grand?

> Martin "British cars forever" Frankford

...and Rick (Boy-do-I-love-my-Jag) Lindsay