re: Miata Friendly

To: rlindsay@amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Subject: re: Miata Friendly
From: miq@wv.MENTORG.COM (Miq Millman)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 93 11:16:45 PDT
OK!  you guys are going too far.  This seems more like the rantings of petty
jealousy to me.  I have to take exception at some of the "information" passed
on by our fellow Sol'ers Mr. Lindsay and Mr. Frankford.

First, I have a lot of cars, I should probably join Autoholics Anonymous or
something, but if I had all the money I've ever spent on cars, I probably
spend it on cars.

Have you ever even driven a Miata?  Doesn't sound like it.

Categorizing a group of anything simply based on how it looks or is
perceived is stupid.  There is plenty of room in this world (and in my garage)
for more than just my Autin Healeys (2 5/6 of em right now).  I like driving
all my cars, British, German, Japanese, or American, and they all have
something different to offer.

As far as the Miata owner being out of tune with sports cars, or the owner
not working on the car or even knowing how to put gas in the car (in Oregon
this is possible, since there is no self serve available), I think that you
are quite wrong.  Every Miata owner I know has other sports cars in their
fleet, and most use the Maita as the daily driver to preserve the other
rarer/older/less reliable/unreplaceable cars and still have a fun to drive
car that gives them the exhilaration of wind-in-the-hair, quick handling,
seat of the pants feel that sports cars are supposed to do.

As far as Miata owners not working on their cars, I do 85% of the work on all
my cars, even the daily drivers, I do 100% on the older ones, except for some
of the special tools that cost $500 for the Porsche, then I take it to the
shop and pay the mechanic $200 to do the job.  Most of the Miata drivers I
know have some some modification to their cars and except for taking it into
the shop for new tires (which you SOL's would do for the LBC of your choice
too) they have done the work themselves.

I have to disappoint you, but I think that there will be aftermarket vendors
for Miata parts for quite a long time, infact there already are.

The Miata is about as close to the Geo Metro as my bugeye is, infact I think
that the bugeye is closer since it shares the same wheelbase.....

I think that the Miata is the car that Rover should have built instead of the
$42,000 MGB V8, it has perfect balance (50/50); full independent suspension;
highly improvable powerplant (stock is 116 hp, my car puts out closer to 150
hp these days) that is really just fine in stock form; has air bags with
anti-lock brakes available for safety; is reliable (I have close to 50K on
mine with no unscheduled repairs); and can be purchased for under $15,000
new.

Quit bashing what you don't know, and come out to Portland Oregon and I'll show
you my stables, and give you a ride in my Miata.  If you ask nicely, I might
even let you drive it.

--

Miq Millman       miq@wv.mentorg.com         miq_millman@rainbow.mentorg.com
Mentor Graphics 8005 Boeckman Rd, Wilsonville OR 97070  503 685 1492   C2148