Re: Need some help

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Need some help
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1993 11:19:51 CDT
Lee M. Daniels (daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu) writes:
> From: ajw@hlwpd.att.com
>> I'm looking at a 1972 MGB with 65,000 original miles.
>> [...]
>> The guy is asking $4200 and won't budge. He's 88 years old [...]
>                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Here's the plan - ask him to go on a test drive with you, and do your best
> to scare the kazooties out of him...  Then offer his survivors $500 !!
>       =8-O
>
> Or, better yet, show him some MGB ads with REASONABLE prices...

Now, now...  ;-)

I have dealt with recalcitrant car-sellers in the past. The most likely
explanation for the whopping price and refusal to deal is, well, he really
loves the car, and selling it is an admission that he can't deal with
driving anymore. This hurts. A successful sale depends on appealing to his
ego, plus giving him reassurance that his car (not "_the_" car) will be well
cared for in the future. You are attempting to buy a member of his family.

In such a situation I rely on several strategies, in no particular order and
often flipping from one to another and back again:

1) AWE -- Gee, what a fabulous example of the marque you have there! (Never
   mind price haggling after you said how nice it was; that comes later...)

2) KNOWLEDGE -- Yes, I'm well aware that the frammit supports get a bit
   rusty on these things, and by the way, there's a real easy fix for that
   splunge-retainer leakage problem...

3) COMPETENT OWNERSHIP -- The car I arrive in to visit the seller will be
   spotless, and the same brand as the sale car if possible. If the seller
   expresses interest in my wheels, I can show what a great job I do of
   caring for my cars.

4) FINANCIAL AWARENESS -- Well, you know, I checked out a Blatmaster 2000 for
   sale in the Tradin' Times last week for just $2750, and that was a GT
   model, you know... (pregnant pause) ahem... (price negotiations follow...)

Mix and match the preceding plans as required, and with a little luck you may
have a sale. Negotiate carefully and don't be pushy; imagine the kind of person
that you would sell _your_ pride-and-joy to, then _be_ that person.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473