Re: MGB Radiator Overflow

To: mike@wv.mentorg.com (Mike Walsh)
Subject: Re: MGB Radiator Overflow
From: HERTZBERG JEAN R <hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 May 93 10:24:16 MDT

> My '67 MGB tends to expell water out of the Radiator overflow
> after the car has been running for a while on a warm day when
> I turn the car off.  Why is this?
>
> I have tried several combinations of thermostats and radiator
> caps with no success.  Right now I have a 165 degree thermostat
> in the car.  Has anyone fitted an overflow bottle to their MGB?
>
> ...Mike

I have, and it works quite well. It's just a generic aftermarket bottle.
My current problem is that it works well with my old radiator cap, but
when I put a new cap on, I found it would let water out of the radiator,
but not suck the water back in as it cools. I guess my new cap is
defective?

-Jean H

From  rwg1@postoffice.mail.cornell.edu Tue Sep 11 11:33:16 2001
From: (Roger Garnett) rwg1@postoffice.mail.cornell.edu
To: (British Cars) british-cars@autox.team.net
Date:         17 May 93 12:52:11
Subject:      Re: Avon & other Replacement Tyres

From:          Dick Hofsheier <hof@ssd.intel.com>

From:          Mark_Banaszak-Holl@brown.edu

> the relatively cheap tyres,  I would suggest the Michelin XZX.

12 Years ago, when I bought my first set of XZX's for my B, they were
pretty good, but today they are a held over, dated, overpriced design.
They're  certainly ok compared to original stuff, or if you want a tyre
that will last for 50-75K miles, (That's a long, long time for most
Sprites today! Your tyres will dry-rot before you get any real use out of
them) but compared to modern stuff, they're expensive and HARD. Granted,
my 12 year old XZX's haven't worn out yet, but we're talking sports cars
here! Tyre compounds have improved a lot in just the last 5 years.

For early Sprites, look around for something in a 155-70 13 (very
plentiful), which should fit fine, give more grip, and last for quite a
while. Look for treadwear ratings under 400, and Traction ratings of A.
There are several good manufacturers making high performance tyres in this
range, such as Pirelli, Nokia, etc., for around the same cost as the
bloody XZX's! If you want a more original profile, go for 145-80's or so.
Or, for 1/2 the cost of XZX's, go to your local discount tyre store, and
pick up the most reasonable looking radials in your size- they will
perform better, and last longer than any original tyre did, and likley
be better than XZX's too.

and Lar:
> Can anyone suggest replacement tyres for a 70 E-Type? Currently has
> Michelin red-stripers but have heard those are no longer made by
> Michelin, and that someone else bought the molds... selling for
> 200ish per tyre (ouch!)

I think they're made by one of the bigger american "Old Car" tire
manufacturers, Coker Tire, if you really gotta have 'em.

I just can't understand the desire for those redlines! (Especially
on TR's) Unless you're only concerned about concours apearence, there's a
vast selection of modern tyres that will outperform at a fraction of the
cost! If I had an E-Type, I'd be more concerned with it's line on the road
than a line on the tyres! :-)

Avon is one of Englands favourite tyre manufacturers- they make a range
including street, popular race, and vintage sizes. I quite like the 4.00x19
Avons I've put on my PA, at around $75 each, instead of $175-225 for
Dunlops or Michlins, they're at leats as authentic, and perform well.
   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!