Re: Tiger -mushy brakes

To: mds@voodoo.ca.boeing.com
Subject: Re: Tiger -mushy brakes
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 93 09:09:30 pdt
> From: mds@voodoo.ca.boeing.com (Mark Sullivan)
> Subject: Tiger -mushy brakes
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> Date: Mon, 17 May 1993 08:01:35 -0800 (PDT)
>

> I recently had to move the car out of the garage and when I stepped on the
> brake pedal, it went just about to the floor.  I bled the brakes last summer
> and have driven the car several times since then without a problem, so I was
> kind of surprised whent this happened.
>
> I checked the fluid, and it was way low.  I also noticed some "fuzzy"-looking
> stuff floating in the fluid and removed it (sorry about that turkey-baster,
>dear
> ) and added more fluid.  I then went for a drive.  The pedal no longer goes to
> the floor, but still feels mushy.  Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Well, it could be rebuild time; but maybe not.  Are there any visible
leaks?  Fluid puddles on the floor?  If not, check the brake booster.
I'm told by a Tiger owning friend that this is the commonest place for
"invisible" brake fluid loss.

In the interim you might give bleeding another try; It took me months to
get all of the air out of the brake system of my snake after I did a
rebuild.  Air gets trapped in little recesses and won't come out during
bleeding.  Driving seems to dislodge these bubbles and eventually they
can be bled out.

Since you have a Tiger, let me give Sunbeam Specialties another plug.
I've been to their parts warehouse in Campbell and talk to them on the
phone.  Their prices are reasonable and they've always been friendly and
helpful to me.

     Sunbeam Specialties Auto Parts
     P.O. Box 771 Los Gatos, CA
     (408) 371-1642