Caterham stuff

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british cars listserver)
Subject: Caterham stuff
From: Ben Hodson <hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 May 93 9:32:09 BST
Hi,

People wanted to know about my seven marketing, well.....

Caterham sell cars in four different states :

Starter kit : in lots of bits, buy some bits from Caterham and some
bits from 3rd party suppliers. This is the cheap option, ie. one can buy
the engine, gear box and diff in recon form and have the car painted by
someone else.

CKD : Completely knocked down. About 70 hours work but all the bits come at
once. Put them all together and turn the key :-)

Component form : About 20 hours or a weekends worth of shworking (smiley
happy working). Again all bits are supplied.

The cars you can buy are :

Classic : A cheap bare bones car. As standard is supplied with 1600 Ford
x-flow engine 110hp ish, Morris Marina live rear axle and aero-screens. This
car has no fuel gauge - just a dip stick !  Of course all the options are
available so for an extra thousand or so it can be 'upgraded'. The suspension
is a 'lower' grade than the rest of the cars. From 8999 pounds sterling.

135hp). From 12000 pounds.

K series : 1.4l Rover K series car, De dion and optional catalyst :-/
>From 14000 pounds

HPC : 2.0l Vauxhall HPC engine, up to 235 hp 8-> Lots of pounds.

The types of axle :

De dion : Ford sierra xr4i 5 speed box, Ford sierra 3.93 rear diff and
caterham drive shafts.

Live axle : Ford escort ? 4 speed box, Morris marina rear axle.

My car is going to be a 1700 de-dion long cockpit car with all that entails.
The only 'special' bits will be the s-type adjustable seats. These are
expensive (900 pounds) but are leather and very-very nice. They are also the
only seats that sit me low enough to see well. As I said I am 6'1" with
relatively short legs. This meant that the problem was the top of the
wind screen getting in the way of the view forward.

Anyway I'll keep you posted.

--
|   Ben Hodson,            |   Email : hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk       |
|   Philips Research Labs, |   Tel : 0293 785544 ext 5750              |