tank saga II

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: tank saga II
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 93 15:39:09 pdt
Usually Friday is the dead day on the list.  Guess I'll have to continue
my tank trivia.  Heck, I wouldn't even mind another Volvo post.

Well, let see.  Where was I.  Trying to figure out what the thread pitch
is on the brass fittings that screw into My Cobra's tank.  I carefully
measured the distance between the 4 threads on the male fitting.  It
came out to 13.8 threads per inch, which probably means the pitch is
actually 14 per inch, which I thought I'd already ruled out.  Perhaps it
was the solder on the threads that kept me from screwing on a 1"-14 nut
at the hardware store.  I didn't really want to force a steel nut onto
brass threads.  Anyway, I'll give it another try.  Could this sucker be
metric?  On a 30 year old Brit car???

Someone, (TeriAnn?)  mentioned that they found rust patches on their gas
tank where felt pads had been between the tank and the tie-down straps.
My tank had similar pads except they were used to cushion the aluminum
panels used to cover the trunk area.  There was also a coat of rubbery
looking paint (undercoating?)  between the tank and the contact cement
used to attach the pads.  This might be a good idea even with rubber
pads since I'll bet moisture can get trapped under rubber pads too.

I think I've stretched this about as far as I can.

Roland