Motivational Training

To: paisley@cme.nist.gov
Subject: Motivational Training
From: interf!atlas!jhoward@uunet.UU.NET (James Howard)
Date: Tue, 11 May 93 09:28:04 EDT
   From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)

   Isn't is amazing what a broken part will do to motivate ya to work on
   the car?  The only thing I can think to give ya more motivation is to
   make your LBC your daily driver.

Not only your daily driver, but your only driver.  I am in that
situation, and I am now fanatical about adhering to the maintenance
schedule.  I am slowly getting the car into reliable condition, but it
is the things I don't think about that strand me.  Last time the
culprit was the throttle cable.  I was sitting at a traffic light.
Light turned green, I press the gas pedal, gas pedal goes straight to
floor with no accompanying increase in engine speed.  I don't remember
anything in the manual about replacing throttle cables every 100,000
miles.  Opened the hood... gee that cable looks awfully small.  Looks
like a brake cable for a bicycle.  It done broke in half.  And it's
snowing, and I am in the left turn lane.  Fortunately Linda was in the
car behind me, and she pushed me into a parking lot.

Next day I come equipped with a new cable and new return springs
(because springs are cheap and I have no idea how old these are.
Turns out they were pretty weak.)

My next project is... fix the hole in the top of the gas tank.

James