A Sinister Idea

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Digest)
Subject: A Sinister Idea
From: Michael T Chaffee <mchaffee@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1993 11:27:31 -0500 (CDT)
Hi!

I was just thinking about Things I Could Do to my Midget, and I had a Very
Sinister Idea, and was wondering if anyone out there has any ideas, experience,
suggestions, etc.  The Idea:

My father and I are very fond (to an unhealthy degree, Mom would argue) of two
types of vehicles:  LBC's, and BMW's.  Contemplating the similarities between
these two lovely but in many ways diametrically opposite autos lead me to a
Very Sinister Idea:  What would it take to put a BMW engine, most likely from
a 2002tii, into a Midget?  This would double the horsepower, and nearly double
the torque.  The only two problems I can see would be fit, particularly of the
bellhousing, and torque problems at the rear axle.  I'm not so sure about cool-
ing; is it possible to get a higher-capacity radiator that fits the Midget?  I
don't think exhaust would be a huge problem, and unless I'm mistaken, the 2002
engine will weigh minimally more, if not less, than the A-series engine.

Any hints?

Michael T. Chaffee
mchaffee@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu